Saturday 9 August 2014

Does my business need a mobile website?

Yes! 

There are many reasons, but the most important one is to make visitors happy.  If your visitors are not enjoying your site, they will not stay, and certainly will not come back.  The most common reason for site visitors not staying for more than a few seconds is due to a poor experience on a mobile display. 

I'm certain most people surfing the web, once they have come across something they are interested in will stick around, and even put up with some horrible styling, colors or navigation issues on a site because they are already there.  The problem lies when visitors are on a mobile device, and the information presented is simply unreadable.  Personally, I have a rather large smart phone, the Samsung Note II, and there are many sites I have been to recently, where I did not stay more than a few seconds.  Why?  I could not read the screen!  Tiny buttons for navigation are impossible to select, and when it loads the wrong page slowly... well, I never stick around that long anymore.  I simply go back to my search results and pick another one.  Remember, I have a huge phone!  I shudder thinking about what happens when the phone is half the size of mine.

That is a common scenario, a potential client lost, and a slightly disgruntled site visitor who had to go back to his search.  Will I avoid their site the next time I am searching and come across it on my desktop PC?  Not likely.  However, it is likely that I already accomplished what I set out to do on my mobile with a competitor who has a mobile friendly website.

Over 55% of online consumer shopping time is on mobile devices.  But your not doing online retail?  Ok, how about 60% of smart phone users have looked up a business address while mobile?  If those users cannot view your site to get your address, how will they find you?

There are countless more reasons to have a mobile friendly website, but I will not dive into the technical (and boring) side because I truly like our readers, and want you to come back. :)

I will mention one quick thing though, evidence is piling up that not being mobile friendly affects your page ranking in a negative way with Google.  That is another huge reason to go mobile, keeping Google happy is almost as important as keeping potential clients happy.

If you would like to know about mobile design, please call or email us anytime. 

Have a great day,

Mike Rhora
MVR Solutions
1-800-429-7183

No comments:

Post a Comment